Monday 30 June 2014

Pickled Shallots


It always happens.  I grow shallots, I harvest them and leave them to dry out. I forget about them and find them the next year when they're only good for the refuse dump and the cycle starts again.  This year I'm working smarter!

Having cleaned, cut and peeled the shallots (this seemed to take forever, particularly as I was having to look through waterfalls of tears pouring out of my eyes - these little guys are warriors at heart...), the pickling process could begin - see the recipe on my Make It So page.  It was really easy.  Apart from prepping the shallots, the hardest part was waiting for a week before I could sample them.

I made a loaf of slightly sweet, slightly bitter Malthouse bread for the shallots to snuggle into on a layer of cheddar.  Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment