Friday 6 June 2014

A Quilt for Cara

As a precursor to a bigger project I'm working on, I thought I'd try the basics of quilting on something smaller – I'm not a quilter and that kind of precision cutting is not something I have a leaning towards or relish.

Lucky for me, friends of ours were expecting a little girl and it seemed the perfect opportunity to have a go at a baby's quilt.  I'd accumulated a lot of fabric scraps which seemed destined for greater things .  (If anyone out there is thinking it's offensive to make a gift out of scraps, particularly for a baby, think again!  It in no way diminishes the love or care ploughed into the project.  Quite the opposite.  And I actually found it difficult parting with some of the scraps either because of their colour or design.)

In the end, this was a bit like starting a journey blindfolded and on foot, meandering through a big long tunnel and, somehow, coming out the other end on a Chopper with a flat tyre and no bell but travelling in the right lane i.e. knowing absolutely nothing about quilting, I achieved my goal and learnt a lot along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment